Burton Morewood Academy has high performing partnerships with a large number of schools including Infant, Junior, Primary, Nursery and a special school as well as a College of FE and the University of Cumbria. Located in the beautiful setting of the South Lakes and bordering rural areas of North Lancashire, our area is certainly a place you will want to study in.
We are currently running School Direct Cohort 4 (2016/17) and are now recruiting for cohort 5 (2017/18).
Anyone interested in applying for cohort 5 or for a future cohort is strongly recommended to contact Richard Wilson to arrange a visit to school.
Our Cohort 1 Completion data is as follows:
- 10 trainees – 100% completion
- 80% secured teaching jobs to start in September 2014
- 10% working with children in an alternative setting
- 10% carrying out regular supply teaching
Five of our Institutions have achieved OFSTED gradings of Outstanding in their most recent inspection report and we have a long standing tradition of providing excellent training for student teachers. Our schools offer a diversity of experience and contexts including both rural and town settings and an outstanding all age special school for young people with severe and complex learning needs. Our outstanding reputation for innovative curriculum design, professional development, leadership and teaching is underpinned by strong student welfare and guidance systems. As a School Direct student teacher working with us you will have the opportunity to develop your professional skills, knowledge and understanding in a diverse, supportive and innovative setting.
At our recent OFSTED, where we were judged Outstanding, the inspectors made the following remarks about School Direct:
- Partnerships with other schools and with higher education centres, makes an outstanding contribution to pupils’ education. The involvement of student teachers adds enormously to the quality of learning for pupils as well the professional development of staff.
- The academy’s responsibility for training teachers through the School Direct scheme adds a very positive dimension to pupils’ learning. They get the experience of different adults working with them and benefit from their teachers and teaching assistants developing their own skills as part of the process of mentoring the trainees.
- Excellent partnerships with other schools widen the pool of expertise the academy can draw on to benefit staff and pupils. Very close partnerships with the University of Cumbria contribute to training the next phase of teachers. The school-based training called School Direct, is managed exceptionally well by the academy. The school selects only the highest calibre student teachers who not only get excellent guidance and support, but also offer pupils and staff a wide range of opportunities to extend their knowledge and skills.
Our long term curriculum planning, knowledge of retirement patterns and staff mobility indicates that within our immediate partnership and wider network of
Cumbrian schools we are likely to have NQT vacancies in ten different Primary schools for the Academic Year 2016/2017. Whilst not guaranteeing employment, we are confident that our rigorous selection procedures and commitment to providing the best possible training will recruit and develop teachers that our schools will want to employ as NQTs.
Our programme carries full PGCE accreditation with up to 60 Masters credits.